Friday, January 23, 2009

Freaking Telemarketer Scam

So this has nothing to do with Trivia, but I am so annoyed. We got another telemarketer call from Card Member Services just a few minutes ago. Every day we get an unknown caller from either Card Member Services or Warranty Services. Getting on the phone to yell at them has become a hobby for me and the wife. I think it is absolutely shameful how they are trying to scam people.

Fiona and I are on the do not call list. We have had several “discussions” with them about not calling us anymore. Today’s conversation was the best though.

I get the recorded “urgent” action needed on your credit cards before Visa or MasterCard raises your rates. I hit #6 to speak to an agent. When he asks me if I called to lower my interest rates, I reply “no, I hit six so you would stop calling me. I want to be taken off your phone list.”

He tells me there is no phone list. What kind of crap is that? I tell him that we are on the Federal Do Not Call list and they need to stop calling us. Even though we’ve gone this route three or four times already, it can’t hurt to try again. My head exploded when he says, “there is no do not call list.” All rational thought went out the window. He then asks me if I’ve ever seen the list. Does he mean the list of phone numbers of people who don’t want telemarketers calling them all day long? Actually, I don’t know what he’s talking about. I muster a touch of calm and say, “no, I haven’t looked at the list, but I have read the federal regulations on it.” He’s not swayed. Since, neither of us has viewed the do not call list—evidently it must not exist.

Pictures or it didn’t happen. My bad!

When I get back from Wisconsin, I am going to figure out who these people really are, and find someone I can call every single day until they stop. There does seem to be quite a bit of information about them here http://honeypot.net/scam-calls-card-services


Grrrrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment